[mythtv-users] Which nvidia cards to currently avoid?

John Marshall mythtv at marshallparty.org
Thu Jan 29 20:47:45 UTC 2015

On 1/29/2015 2:41 PM, Ian Evans wrote:
> Looks like I can get a good price nearby on aASUS GeForce GT 630 902MHZ 2GB.

Just make sure that's the 630 with 64-bit memory and 384 CUDA cores
(Kepler).  I don't think the Fermi ones with 96 cores perform as well on
deinterlacing (though as I alluded to, 300 drivers are better than 29x
for Fermi cards).  Why NVidia tries to confuse people by overloading
card numbers is beyond me.
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-630/specifications

> Silly question. Is there anything I need to do to before replacing the
> card? Or will mythbuntu autodetect the new card when I boot?

I swapped my GT430 for the GT630 when I bought it and it just worked.