[mythtv-users] Which nvidia cards to currently avoid?

John Marshall mythtv at marshallparty.org
Thu Jan 29 20:24:54 UTC 2015

On 1/29/2015 1:58 PM, Ian Evans wrote:
> I'm looking at lower-priced video cards (my budget right now) and I'm
> seeing a lot of 610s, 620s, 630s and 710s, 720s and 730s in the sub $100
> range. Even some 210s.
>
> Are any of these any good? My current card (may it rest in peace) is a
> GT 430 that I paid about 74 Cdn for. What's comparable these days?

As of the 300x series NVidia drivers the *10 cards might be enough for
Advanced 2x deinterlacing, but there isn't nearly as much headroom as
the 20 & 30 cards.  I have a fanless GT630v2 (GK208/Kepler) and it works
great.  The GT730 with 64-bit memory and 384 CUDA cores is essentially
the same card.  I assume you aren't terribly worried about gaming
performance as these are just okay for that.

The 720 should also be capable according to this:
http://www.vdr-wiki.de/wiki/index.php/VDPAU-Benchmarks
MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL (1920x1080): 132 fields/s