[mythtv-users] Mythtv and Google Fiber?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Thu Jan 29 15:04:20 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 9:05 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 7:31 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
>> In a perfect world
>
> I am sure you meant to say that in a perfect world,
> content providers, and content consumers, would
> have an agreed upon understanding of value of the
> content, and the ethics and trust of receiving that
> value

Yes, of course.

> such that enforced DRM protections would
> not be needed, let alone even considered.
>
> Otherwise, your world still requires a protected
> path implementation to assure only the actual
> subscriber accessed the content.

The words "needed" and "requires" seem to presuppose that these
methods actually work at the stated goal of making sure that access is
limited to actual subscribers or their guests.  While it does raise
the bar somewhat, it doesn't really matter how many people record and
upload a show to peer-to-peer networks provided that that number is
more than zero.  Reducing the number of uploaders from 1000 to 100 or
10 doesn't make any difference in the end.

I'm currently receiving both HBO (copy-once) and Showtime
(copy-freely) from Verizon in NJ.  Is pirated content from HBO any
less difficult to obtain?  If not, why is a protected path "needed"?

Eric