[mythtv-users] HDMI on Liva ECS

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 07:17:39 UTC 2015

On Mon Jan 26 2015 at 8:16:10 AM Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hoi Jerry,
>
> Monday, January 26, 2015, 7:36:12 AM, you wrote:
>
> >> Hoi Jerry,

> hikavdh at gmail.com>

> on

> your

> where
> >> name, I

> info

> >> You might have then to create an xorg.conf (or better a xorg.conf.d/)
> >> There  are  ways  to create your own EDID-file, but I have never tried
> >> that.  Instead for my monitor with corrupted EDID I tell the driver to
> >> ignore it and have grabbed the modelines from Xorg.0.log.
> >> Generally you do that with 'Option "IgnoreEDID"' in the device section
> >> or 'Option "UseEDID" "Off"' in the monitor section.
> >> With nvidia you use something like:
> >> Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT-0, DFP-0"
> >> Option "UseDisplayDevice" "CRT-0"
> >> Where  CRT  is ananog (also when through DVI-I with converter) and DFP
> >> digital  (HDMI  or  DVI-D).  It's  all  described extensively in their
> >> documentation.
> >>

> >> Tot mails,
> >>   Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com
>
> > I created a xrandr script using arandr, which worked nicely getting the
> > myth UI full screen.  When playing video though there's a black rectangle
> > above and below the video, like it's in widescreen.  Not sure what's up
> > there, perhaps the video is 720p and the screen is 1080?  Tomorrow I'll
> > play around with creating an xorg.conf.
>
> > -Jerry
>
> > On Sun Jan 25 2015 at 5:46:57 PM Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> Please put your replies underneath existing text!

Ack!  Sorry, I _do_ know better than that.

> The thing with the bars is an aspect-ratio thing. You have them at
> three levels. The physical ratio of your screen, the ratio of your
> screen resolution and the ratio of your recording. If they don't match
> those bars fill up remaining space.
> To start with, you have to make sure the first two match. So if your
> screen is 16:9 don't use a 4:3 resolution. Secondly MythTV tries to
> get the resolution of the recording, but it cannot always get it
> right. You then can set it yourself.

The TV is a native 1080p screen.  And when just displaying the mythtv GUI
(not video), it completely fills the screen as it should.  Nothing cut off
and no gaps.

The recordings are all 1080i or 720p.  And they all play properly using the
same video path on my older frontend (swapping the HDMI cable from the Liva
to the existing Acer Revo).  So the ratios should match.  Looking at the
xorg log, the Revo's nvidia chip is much more forgiving to nonsensical EDID
info and just goes ahead and makes the best of inconsistent info.  It just
works.

> If you create an xorg.conf, make it an xorg.conf.d/ directory with
> separate .conf files for screen, card etc. That way automatic updates
> will not f** with it. See earlier thread last week.

I haven't gotten to the point of setting up a proper xorg.conf yet.  I
spent a lot of time tonight investigating information on TV and receiver
firmware updates and looking into possible fixes on that end.  I still have
a little bit of work left there, and then I'll move on to more fooling with
xorg.conf.

-Jerry