[mythtv-users] Fedora, ceton, systemd, and mythbackend

Justin Moore justin.nonwork at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 23:32:06 UTC 2015

I seem to run into a fun interplay between Fedora, my Ceton InfiniTV card,
systemd, and my mythbackend (which handle two remote frontends).

1. The system boots.
2. The ceton driver loads, and for some reason systemd promptly renames
this to network interface p5p1.
3. In the meantime, my actual ethernet interface (p5p2) is busy waiting on
a response from my DHCP server.
4. Systemd loads mythbackend, which currently depends on
network-online.target.
5. Because network interface p5p1 is up and running and has an IP address
then YAY, as far as system is concerned the network is online. Mythbackend
is a go to start.
6. Mythbackend starts, but doesn't actually listen on the not-yet-available
ethernet connection to the outside world (p5p2).
7. At some point in the future, the DHCP server gets back to the backend
and gives it a configuration for p5p2, meaning it can talk to the outside
world. However it's too late for mythbackend to listen on this interface,
and is not reachable from any of the remote frontends.

This happens predictably and repeatably. I have no idea why systemd feels
compelled to rename ctn0 to p5p1, or how to convince network manager that
even though p5p1 looks and feels like a connection to the outside world,
it's not. I already have mythbackend.service configured as starting
"After=network-online.service" but clearly that's not enough.

Google searches for "systemd network interface naming" and umpteen
varieties of that only gives results talking about the wonderful new
feature of systemd that will bring predictable network interface naming to
Linux.

First off, has anyone else seen this behavior?

Secondly, does anyone have any suggestions on the right approach? Should I
tweak systemd to not rename the interface? Should I try and get network
manager to understand that p5p1 (or ctn0) is not actually a useful network
interface? Should I just kludge it and put "sleep 10" before the
mythbackend starts?

Thanks,
-jdm