[mythtv-users] Overhating Zbox?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sat Jan 24 22:19:51 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 01:39:40PM -0500, Jason Sullivan wrote:
> I know a handful of folks on this list use the Zontac Zbox, so I'm
> wondering if anyone had seen this before.

    My original Asus and Zotac IONs both suffered relatively short lifespans.

    My Asus (relatively) quicky developed video overheating issues and ended
up being turned into a headless box. My Zotac was running Win7 and was used
mainly for AnyDVD and it also died relatively young.

    Fans are not your enemy. My best ION boxes are Asrocks that are both a
little bit fatter than other low profile boxes and they have good fans that
blow very well. With an SSD, my main ION frontend runs with core temps of
7C and 21C. Coolest boxes in the house.

    I also have a Zareason laptop that runs hot when used for gaming. I had
to buy a special cooling pad for it. Otherwise it would simply shutdown at
random intervals.