[mythtv-users] Mythtv gentoo question

Rich Freeman r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net
Sat Jan 24 14:43:34 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 9:21 AM, david brooke <david2012brooke at gmail.com> wrote:

> So I have tested three mythtv systems: 1-gentoo and 2-arch
> All exhibit the same result of increased memory use while switching between
> tv recordings. Mark Perkins has suggested that this memory use behavior is
> normal. If that is the case then I have no problem, only a better
> understanding of how mythtv works now.

The memory behavior may or may not be normal, but you haven't really
given any information about mythtv's use of memory so it is hard to
tell.  You've attached a bunch of plots of system memory use, which
likely includes stuff like disk cache.

If you just played a bunch of video files using mplayer you could very
well see the same system memory behavior.

I don't understand why mythtv uses so much virtual memory in my
installation, but it is fairly harmless since virtual memory is free
(well, at least the first 256 TiB are on most CPUs).  Resident size is
the biggest area of concern, and that isn't too bad.

--
Rich