[mythtv-users] Filesystem of choice for recording drive?

Tim Draper veehexx at zoho.com
Thu Jan 22 12:55:24 UTC 2015

---- On Wed, 21 Jan 2015 19:33:46 +0000 Neil Salstrom<salstrom at gmail.com> wrote ----
 > All,
 >
 > My recording drive (small partition for LiveTV, large partition for
 > ATSC recordings) decided to die (2 TB Western Digital Green).
 > S.M.A.R.T. errors galore, long pauses and corruption in recordings,
 > etc.  It was using XFS for the filesystem based on a recommendation in
 > the mythtv wiki from a long time back.
 >
 > Is XFS still the filesystem of choice or at this point is there a
 > better option?  Btrfs?  EXT4?

I moved away from BTRFS and to JFS. I personally considered JFS to be marginally better than XFS for mythtv content.
BTRFS would cause crashes in the livetv playback (https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12306) and would feel slow to skip through recordings.
Moving to JFS has noticeably improved my mythtv playback experience (both livetv and i think recorded content too).

All mythtv storage group data is on a pair of Raid1 WD Green 3tb drives, which handles 2x DVB-S2 and 1x DVB-T tuners.