[mythtv-users] Bug in mythvidexport?

Nicolas Krzywinski myth at site7even.de
Wed Jan 21 22:43:16 UTC 2015

Am 2015-01-20 19:29, schrieb mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org:
> Message: 7
> Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 15:57:17 +0000
> From: Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>
> To: mythtv-users <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Subject: [mythtv-users] Bug in mythvidexport?
>
> I've been trying to export some of the Christmas recordings to video
> and there
> seems to be a bug in mythvidexport.py. The data below is just a test
> sample.
>
> I pulled this version off the wiki; there doesn't appear to be one
> offered by my
> distribution.
>
> When I eventually discovered the log, it said this:
>
> 'Copying myth://Default@ruby.example.com/1001_20150101162000.mpg to
> myth://Videos@ruby/Videos/The Adventures of Tintin: the Secret of the
> Unicorn.mpg'
>
> The problem is the two hostnames. The first is correct, the second is
> not.
>
> Now, I have specified FQDNs in the "LocalHostName" fields for ALL my
> hosts which
> can access myth, due to varying and inconsistent results previously.
>
> Looking at mythvidexport.py, I see this early in the process:
>
>          self.vid = Video(db=self.db).create({'title':'',
> 'filename':'',
>                                               'host':gethostname()})
>
> ...this is only going to provide "ruby", not "ruby.example.com",
> which is the
> identifier all storage groups are stored under in the database.
>
> Am I correct in assuming that gethostname() should not have been used
> here,
> since it does not identify the host? I don't speak python so I have
> no idea how
> to change this to be something sensible (except perhaps to hard-code
> it!).
>
> (Of course I could be wrong and the problem is elsewhere; as I said I
> don't
> speak python.)
>
> --
>
> Mike Perkins
Hi Mike,

Is there a specific reason to use FQDNs directly in your environment?
Or the other way round: why are the storage groups named by FQDNs and
not by single hostnames?

The only reason I can imagine is the use of more than one domain name
internally, including identical hostnames within each domain.

When using only one domain name one should not use the FQDN directly,
but use only the hostnames. Then it is the system's job to append the
domain part for name resolution with FQDN.
The administrative advantage here is the ease of a domain name change
that only has to be done once for each system, instead of the need to
update the FQDNs for each single application configurations.

Unsure if this helps...

Nicolas