[mythtv-users] Filesystem of choice for recording drive?

Jay Foster jayf0ster at roadrunner.com
Wed Jan 21 19:55:00 UTC 2015

On 1/21/2015 11:33 AM, Neil Salstrom wrote:
> All,
>
> My recording drive (small partition for LiveTV, large partition for
> ATSC recordings) decided to die (2 TB Western Digital Green).
> S.M.A.R.T. errors galore, long pauses and corruption in recordings,
> etc.  It was using XFS for the filesystem based on a recommendation in
> the mythtv wiki from a long time back.
>
> Is XFS still the filesystem of choice or at this point is there a
> better option?  Btrfs?  EXT4?
>
> I've gone with a 3TB Western Digital Purple drive.  Not much more than
> the Green but with a longer warranty.
>
> Suggestions?  Thanks,
>
> Neil

I use a 2TB WDC WD2003FYYS-02W0B1 for my recording drive with XFS. Works
just fine.  A have a second 2TB drive for my video and music storage
using ext3 (this was initially setup on an older mythtv system that did
not support ext4).  My thought was that ext[34] would be better for long
term storage due to the journal (ie, tolerate power failures better),
where XFS was better for recordings (ie performance).  The irony is I
back up the video and music storage on a backup server, but not my
recordings.

The one thing I did notice is that with ext[34], you lose some drive
space for the journal that you do not with XFS, so you can store more
user data on the same drive with XFS.  Probably not enough to be a
deciding factor, though ... just get a larger capacity drive.