[mythtv-users] Filesystem of choice for recording drive?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 19:51:00 UTC 2015

> My recording drive (small partition for LiveTV, large partition for
> ATSC recordings) decided to die (2 TB Western Digital Green).
> S.M.A.R.T. errors galore, long pauses and corruption in recordings,
> etc.  It was using XFS for the filesystem based on a recommendation in
> the mythtv wiki from a long time back.
>
> Is XFS still the filesystem of choice or at this point is there a
> better option?  Btrfs?  EXT4?

I am using zfs with each disk being its own pool and snapraid for
redundancy. I have 6 data disks and 2 external drives that I use for
parity. The externals spin down when not in use. I sync 1 or 2 times
per week.

> I've gone with a 3TB Western Digital Purple drive.  Not much more than
> the Green but with a longer warranty.

I consider that a bad choice. This drive is designed to limit the
error recovery to a very short period (even shorter than a NAS drive)
for usage in a video valence appliance where a few glitches in the
data stream is okay but its bad to stop recording for more than a few
ms.

John