[mythtv-users] find_orphans and error?

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 04:14:59 UTC 2015

On 01/20/2015 09:46 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
 > I think you are wrong that the duplicates are completely harmless.  As
> it stands, all my duplicate (value, hostname) keys also have duplicate
> data values.  But if I changed one of the settings involved, then it
> is likely that only one of the rows would have its data value changed.
> Then anything that retrieved that setting might well get the data
> value from whichever of the duplicate keys mysql happened to read at
> the time, which could cause all sorts of strange problems.  So I think
> it would be best to get rid of the duplicates before that happens.

I believe the key is the use of the LIMIT keyword in the update. Here:

     https://code.mythtv.org/cgit/mythtv/tree/mythtv/libs/libmythbase/mythstorage.cpp#n54

it doesn't appear, so I suspect both (or more) entries would be updated. It's
been a long time since I looked into it, but I ran with  -v database once and
decided they were harmless. Things could have changed.

In any event, the OP could use the SELECT hostname,data,HEX(data) FROM settings WHERE value='BackendServerPort';
mentioned earlier to see if there's cruft in his settings.

--
Bill