[mythtv-users] Would a capture card by any other name still record as sweet?

Warpme warpme at o2.pl
Tue Jan 20 21:39:39 UTC 2015

On 20/01/15 22:11, David Engel wrote:
> MythTV Users,
>
> There's a development effort underway to, among other things, change
> the two-level capturce card and card input model that MythTV has used
> for years into a one-level model.  The plan was to call everything a
> capture cards, or more likely, just a card.  It has been suggested,
> however, to use a new term other than card since MythTV can record
> from many other "things" like local boxes connected by USB and
> ethernet to IPTV and HTTP streams from the cloud.  If we were to use a
> new term other than card, what do you all suggest?
>
> David
David,
In today's world many new users not reading manuals and trying to relay
on intuitive naming just to quickly get results.
I think this trend will grow...

As mythtv become more and more universal recorder regarding sources it
can record/stream - 'card' might be slightly misleading - especially for
IPTV/HLS.

Currently I think most correct name might be something like
'ContentSource' or 'Source' as it represent 2 key attributes of entity
being configured: it is about content and it is source.

'Recorder' is less correct for me as for majority of cases
(analog/digital tuners) entity it is not recording at all (it only
provides content for mythtv recorders).

'Device' also is not better as I'm not sure how IPTV/HLS stream can be
named as device....

br