[mythtv-users] Metadata Lookup Dependent Upon Extension?

jim jim_32766 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 18 17:20:44 UTC 2015

I've noticed something that doesn't seem right regarding how metadata
lookup performs when importing DVDs and naming the resulting files. I've
tested with several DVDs and the results are repeatable.

Post the ripping process, using Browse Videos and Scan for Changes, I
find the following scenario.

If a file is created, with proper DVD title, and without any extension,
the metadata lookup runs automatically with one of two results. If there
is no ambiguity in the on-line databases, the proper metadata is
returned, the presentation transitions from a black box with a large
white question mark to the DVD's coverart, etc. If there is ambiguity in
the on-line databases, a nice graphical interface is brought up to allow
the user to select the correct metadata package based on graphical and
textual information, and then the coverart appears, etc.

If the exact same file is created, but with a .mkv extension, the
metatdata lookup functions differently. Some of the metadata may be
found, but no artwork is obtained. The artwork can still be obtained but
now requires user interaction, via several additional steps.

Why should presence of a file extension cause this difference? Shouldn't
the metadata lookup strip off the extension and use only the title?

The DVDs are all ripped as h.264 using a mkv container. The only
difference is the presence or absence of the .mkv file extension in the
file name.
Several other processes in my system require proper file extensions, and
I believe having the extension is a best practice.  A similar filing
structure, /mythtv/videos/title/title.mkv, is used for all the ripped DVDs.

Thoughts?