[mythtv-users] Time Warner encrypting everything. HDHR Prime with CableCard unable to record anything.

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 18:42:44 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 6:29 PM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
> IIRC, buried in the Consolidated Federal Regulations Title 47, Part 76(???)
> is a requirement that cableco's CANNOT encrypt the 'must-carry' stations

Note that almost no channel is using "must-carry"
(with the exception of local shopping channels that
use "must-carry" to get on the cable), most use
"consent" which gets them money (I suspect
PBS may also use "must carry").

Secondly, when I read the regs a number of years
ago I noted that the requirement was only if the
content was sent in the clear (i.e. analogue or
clear QAM) then the cable providers could not
add in macrovision/CGMS/etc.  If the content was
fully encrypted in transmission (which is what TWC
has moved to), the rules did not apply (although
if you want to provide the actual updated regulation
ref that overrides that, please do so; not the entire
CFR 47 ref).

That all said, TWC has, in the past, mis-marked
OTA channel copy protections in some markets
as part of their encryption roll-out.  It is worth opening
a ticket.