[mythtv-users] Time Warner encrypting everything. HDHR Prime with CableCard unable to record anything.

Kris Jensen kris.jensen.knj at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 18:40:50 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 3:18 AM, Bob Sully <rcs at malibyte.net> wrote:

> Running 0.27-fixes on Ubuntu 14.04
> HD-HR Prime x 1 (3 tuners), HD-PVR x1
>
> Hi all -
> The Evil Empire has finally made good on its promise to encrypt all
> channels, including the local broadcast stations.
>
> HD-HR Prime is now unable to record anything.  CableCard is now useless on
> Myth (at least I could previously use it to record the clear QAM
> channels).  Of course it works on Winblows Media Center (did a short test).
>
> I've been running Linux on everything, and Myth for years, don't wish to
> switch to Windows.
>
> Pardon the dumb question...but do I have any recourse?  An antenna is
> pretty much a no-go, as I'm in a real fringe area.  Right now the HD-PVR is
> handling everything, which means only one recording at a time.

If the "The Evil Empire" (TWC) is your only cable provider, your screwed. .
... .

I was in that situation Two years ago when I moved from a 1212 HD-PVR  to a
Ceton InfiniTV (w/cableCard).   Then Veriozon Fios came along. They seem to
only mark the premium channels copy once. (for the time being)

 I live in a valley with only 2-3 (maybe 4-5 on a good day) OTA channels.
So..

I was also looking in to a satellite system as well. (dish, direct tv,
etc..)  however, I am not sure how they mark stuff ATM.

Not very helpful I know. Just for reference I suppose.

Kris.