[mythtv-users] Time Warner encrypting everything. HDHR Prime with CableCard unable to record anything.

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Wed Jan 14 14:46:16 UTC 2015

On Jan 14, 2015 5:34 AM, "Jim" <lists at morton.hrcoxmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/14/2015 3:18 AM, Bob Sully wrote:
>>
>> Running 0.27-fixes on Ubuntu 14.04
>> HD-HR Prime x 1 (3 tuners), HD-PVR x1
>>
>> Hi all -
>> The Evil Empire has finally made good on its promise to encrypt all
channels, including the local broadcast stations.

>> HD-HR Prime is now unable to record anything.  CableCard is now useless
on Myth (at least I could previously use it to record the clear QAM
channels).  Of course it works on Winblows Media Center (did a short test).

>> I've been running Linux on everything, and Myth for years, don't wish to
switch to Windows.

>> Pardon the dumb question...but do I have any recourse?  An antenna is
pretty much a no-go, as I'm in a real fringe area.  Right now the HD-PVR is
handling everything, which means only one recording at a time.

>> Thanks.
>

> Add a second HD-PVR?
>
> I saw in another thread ("Comcast and Cablecard CGMS copy-once problem")
where the DRM protection has finally been fixed for some cases. Maybe this
will be good for you or maybe it does not apply here...

> --
> Jim

I just wanted to reply that the hdhr prime decrypts encrypted channels
(that is what cable cards do) and that what you probably mean is that they
are setting that copy protection flags now.