[mythtv-users] Recommended Disk Test

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 22:20:35 UTC 2015

Hoi Dick,

> On 01/13/2015 12:00 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>> If you have a freeze without anything in the logs, it can't be the
>> disk! To be absolutely sure you could let your logs go to another
>> disk. i.e. copy over /var/log to a volume on another disk and mount
>> that on /var/log

> The box doesn't have room for more than the one disk, so that 320 GB
> drive is all there is.

>> My guess is it's either a motherboard/processor issue or a software
>> thing.

> I'm inclined to agree, which is why I have the machine scheduled to go
> visit the hardware gurus.

>> If you haven't done any update around the time of first
>> occurrence I guess the first.

> I did do an update last week. I had skipped doing upgrades for a couple
> of months, so there were 70 something to go through. The only thing that
> changed after that was the frequency of the error messages I was getting
> related to tmdb3.py not installed. That went from almost daily to more
> like weekly. Someone recommended that I look in /var/crash. There I find
> a file, _usr_share_mythtv_metadata_Movie_tmdb3.py.116.crash which
> contains the following message:

> This problem report applies to a program which is not installed any
> more. (/usr/share/mythtv/metadata/Movie/tmdb3.py

> When I look in /usr/share/mythtv/metadata/Movie I find the file tmdb3.py.

> ls -l reports:

> ThinkCentre-M58p:/usr/share/mythtv/metadata/Movie$ ls -l
> total 12
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 11409 Nov  6 00:56 tmdb3.py

I have been thinking about this in this relation. This can mean there
is file corruption, maybe due to a bad disk. You can try if tmdb3.py
is readable by running:
/usr/share/mythtv/metadata/Movie/tmdb3.py -t This performes a kind of
self-test. (see tmdb3.py -h)
If the file is corrupt it can mean there is other file-corruption
causing the freeze.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven