[mythtv-users] Recommended Disk Test

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Tue Jan 13 20:16:56 UTC 2015

On 01/13/2015 11:47 AM, John Drescher wrote:
>> Before I take it in to the hardware gurus I want to be sure I've run
>> appropriate tests. I ran memtest with no errors.
> Did you do 1 pass or several days. 1 pass is not at all good at
> finding marginal ram.

It wasn't several days, but it was multiple passes. I'd have to look
back through e-mails to see if I noted how many.

>> What disk test should I run
>> that will be a non-destructive test? And, when I run it, do I need to have
>> the backend and MySQL shut down?
>>
> Can you post the SMART raw data for the disk
>
> smartctrl --all /dev/mydevice
>
> where my device is the drive you want to test possibly sda

Thanks for recommending smartctl. I ran it with the -H option to verify
it's there. The results of that are:

rsteff at ThinkCentre-M58p:~$ sudo smartctl -H /dev/sda
[sudo] password for rsteff:
smartctl 5.41 2011-06-09 r3365 [x86_64-linux-3.5.0-18-generic] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-11 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

Is this a completely non-destructive tool? From what I've read it
appears to be, but I have a number of recordings I would like not to
lose, so I'd like confirmation that running smartctl --all /dev/sda is
non-destructive before I start. Also, this is a 500GB drive. If smartctl
is running will it interfere with recording later this evening, or with
playback this evening (6 or 7 hours from now)?

Thanks.

BTW, if it matters, this is a stock Ubuntu 12.04 system running version
27 mumble-mumble of MythTV. (Is there a way to determine the version of
MythTV from a remote machine, either with MythWeb or by SSH login, or
some other method?)

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens