[mythtv-users] Spam (was: MythTV User Status ??)

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Jan 13 11:02:01 UTC 2015

Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems mainly yahoo account. Obviously gmail is at war with yahoo!

No, Google are "at war" with anyone who didn't buy into SPF. They are not alone - Microsoft also apply SPF checks.

Supporters of SPF know (and knew from the outset) that SPF breaks any form of mail forwarding.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sender_Policy_Framework#FAIL_and_forwarding
They "fixed" that by redefining such actions as invalid - so it's now invalid for a mailing list to forward mails without messing around with the headers somewhat. It also breaks setups (like I run at work) where people have their ISP provided mail account, and have mails to "info at mynicedomainthatsonthewebsite.tld" to it.

To be fair, the SPF community do have a "fix". Apparently, every mailing list, mail forwarder, etc is to update the code so it munges the headers to show that the mail has been forwarded (and SPF was checked in ingress). Call me naive, but it seems a bit flawed if you are going to take the work of "random third party server" that the mail it's sending you isn't spam - it's not like the spammer community wouldn't spot the obvious flaw in this :-/