[mythtv-users] MythTV User Status ??

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Jan 12 17:49:24 UTC 2015

On 12/01/15 17:26, jim wrote:

>> It is always beter to set a password. If you want to see the active
>> mount points type df at the prompt. You can filter the output with:
>> df | grep <filterstring>. It than only shows lines containing that
>> string.
> That is the part that has been eluding me. There is no difference in the
> df listing from before DVD install and post DVD install. The DVD plays
> but there is no visible mount point. I will try adding a password for
> mythtv and only logging in via that user. Maybe that will make a
> difference. Currently I am logged in via the user account I set up when
> installing linux mint. Thanks again.

I would guess that it appears under /media/cdrom or some variant of that.

You won't get a difference because df just tells you about devices, and your DVD
drive is always there.

On my main menu - I'm running the MythCenter-Wide theme - "Optical Disks"
appears on the first menu displayed. Selecting that gives you the option of
playing the disk or ejecting it.

As to user accounts, the mythtv account is created when you installed the myth
package. Apart from the fact that the home directory is in an odd place, it is
otherwise an normal account.

It /should/ be the one where the mythbackend program is run from, since the
storage directories which are used to hold recorded programs will be set up with
mythtv as the user and group.

There are varied reasons concerning where people run the front end from. If you
are setting up the system as an appliance, autologged in and the frontend
autostarted, then usually the mythtv user is chosen. On the other hand, if this
is just a workstation which is used for other purposes, then any user is fine.

The only thing to watch out for is that certain cache files can be created with
the wrong user, preventing normal operation. If you just stick to the same user,
there should be few problems.

--

Mike Perkins