[mythtv-users] Database upgrade from 23.1 to current

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 03:26:13 UTC 2015

On 10 January 2015 at 23:43, Nathan <mythtv-users at lanchbury.id.au> wrote:
> Howdy guys, got an interesting one, I’ve been running MythTV since 2005 and
> well, I hate breaking things and work on the motto, “if it ain’t broken
> don’t fix it”.  But I think that motto can only work with computers for a
> certain amount of time. So I think my Fedora 12, Myth version 23.1 machine
> has seen its day.  So therefore I’m wanting to upgrade to a nice shiny new
> virtual mythubuntu machine on a new ESXi server I have built.
>
> The problem is my mythconverg database is so old I’m a bit confused as to
> how to bring it up to speed?  I had one thought of installing all the
> mythbuntu releases and past the database up through them all, somewhat easy
> to do with my virtual environment, but I’m sure there is an easier way.  Do
> you know of how?  And yes I'm change my host name through this process too.

See http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/574995 for
details on how to do this, and specifically the thread at
http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2014-January/359696.html
which details upgrading from 0.20 to 0.27.

These threads not only detail the upgrade process (including changing
hostname), but also some caveats (updating the MySQL Time Zone
definitions is a key one) to watch out for. Backup the DB often.

If you're already running 0.23-fixes, you should be able to migrate
straight to 0.27 without requiring an intermediate upgrade. The
intermediate upgrade path (i.e. to 0.24-fixes first) /is/ required for
users running pre-0.22 MythTV installations, who are getting fewer and
fewer.

Cheers,
Nick

--