[mythtv-users] Live TV broken?

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Sun Jan 11 01:24:42 UTC 2015

On 11/01/2015 2:32 AM, Peter Schriver wrote:

> [...]
>> necking the link between the two 8 port switches.
>>
>> CPU bottleneck could also be an issue if the program used to record
>> the camera feeds is transcoding the feed live before saving it to
>> disk.  Many IP Camera's send out MJPEG Frames and it's often wise for
>> the program to convert that to a "more space saving" format.  If you
>> are using ZoneMinder, it tends to create millions of JPEG files on
>> the disk which also creates a lot of activity for your hard disk...
>> I highly recommend using a separate machine for handling the Camera
>> Feeds, especially if they are HD IP Camera's.  It can be done on 1
>> machine cause I've done it, but careful planning over computer specs,
>> program settings (MythTV and the IP Camera Recorder), network
>> bandwidth, etc must be taking into account...
>>
>> This option is a little more economical if you don't have spare
>> ethernet controllers laying around and/or your not versed on how to
>> configure a "small network" while using MythBuntu Linux as the "Host"
>> (IE: DHCP Server and perhaps Gateway if needed) of that "small
>> network."  MythBuntu is pretty stripped down, and will require
>> installation of some packages to make everything happy.  And if you
>> use Windows as your mythbackend host, that makes matters twice as
>> complicated.
>>
>> Anyhow, keep that in mind.  This community is extremely versed on
>> hardware configuration, linux/windows administration, programming,
>> etc.  It's REALLY easy to say things like "setup another network
>> card" but it's easily missed that the person may not know how to or
>> what is involved in doing so.  And as you can see from above, that
>> may not be the problem.  But he is right, it is the most likely
>> problem.  You may know all of this already but I wanted to point out
>> what is involved anyway because some people don't know and it's easy
>> in a Tech Forum to speak "Tech" without first finding out the skill
>> levels of the person that the question is being answered for.
>> MythBuntu is generally the version people install that want to "get
>> their feet wet" with MythTV, but don't really want to jump into the
>> deep end and figure out if they can swim or not (Compiling code,
>> Customizing MythTV, etc). Linux is hard to learn, trust me, been
>> there, done that...  Started with RedHat and ended with Slackware.  I
>> hope this helps...
>>
>> -RayRay-
>

> I love the solution of a second NIC card with HDHomeRun Prime on a
> dedicated Mythbuntu server with a static using a router for DHCP on
> the network but can't find any info on what the
> /etc/network/interfaces should look like with the additional card.
>
> Currently it should look like this:
>
> auto lo eth0
> iface lo inet loopback
> iface eth0 inet static
>          address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx(enter your ip here)
>          netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>          gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx(enter gateway ip here,usually the address of the router)
Your /etc/network/interfaces would look something like this.  Do not
assign a gateway on the second lan or it will break your internet access.

auto lo eth0
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet static
         address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx(enter your ip here)
         netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
         gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx(enter gateway ip here,usually the address of the router)

iface eth1 inet static
        address yyy.yyy.yyy.1
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        broadcast yyy.yyy.yyy.255

There are many examples of how to setup a DHCP for the new network (or
both if your backend is 24x7 and you disable the DHCP in your router).
Or you could assign a static address to the HDHomeRun thus not requiring
the setup of a DHCP Server for the new subnet.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/setup-dhcp-server-in-ubuntu-14-04-trusty-tahr-server.html