[mythtv-users] MythFrontend only suspend mode options...

Raymond Boettcher raymondboettcher at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 11 00:06:26 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
From: faginbagin <mythtv at hbuus.com>
To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
Sent: Saturday, January 10, 2015 3:52 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] MythFrontend only suspend mode options...

On 1/10/2015 4:13 AM, Raymond Boettcher wrote:

> I just wanted to get an opinion on this topic from a few users in the mailing list to see what I can do about this.
>
> So lets start....   I have read article after article about putting the backend to sleep after the frontend goes into idle mode.  From what I understand this is handled by the MythWecome program which launches Mythfrontend.  This worries me because I don't want to put the backend to sleep.  The backend hosts the internet as a router on the network, runs Asterisk PBX for the phone switch and a few other functions that are outside the control of MythTV.  I just want to put the frontend to sleep after a specified time of no activity.
>
> The best method I've seen so far is to monitor 'xset q' for the status of the monitor.  if xset +dpms during X Startup before mythfrontend is loaded, then MythFrontend will see this and disable DPMS during times of playback of music, videos or video games.  However, I have found a few exceptions to the rule that concerns me a little.  #1> If you decide to play music and then jump out of the music player but allow background playback, Mythfrontend will re-enable DPMS while music is still playing.  If my script checks that the monitor has been "turned off" and decides to suspend the system, that would be bad.  Not to mention I don't really want the screen to blank while playing background music simply because it does show the next song as it comes on.  Also, my Flat Screen TV is finicky about there being "No Signal" due to DPMS being on.  After a certain amount of time the TV will automatically turn off.  Not Standby, if I make the computer comes back on the TV is still off.  I
> have to press the TV On button on my controller to get the TV to live again.  Nice feature but it should have been implemented like the monitors handle it, and there's no reason it shouldn't, the computer is connected to the Flat Panel TV via its VGA connector.
>
> I considered checking the monitor to see if it has been blanked and checking the CPU usage to see if its at 0 or near 0.  Even the Mp3 Player will create some CPU load which will prevent standby.  However, my attempts to dive into /proc/stat has been interesting, and granted I could probably figure out what all the numbers mean, I don't really see this as the best approach in handling this.
>
> However, I did notice that the logs suggest this:
>
> 2015-01-10 03:09:26.034317 N  Suspending idle timer
> 2015-01-10 03:09:42.539346 N  Resuming idle timer
>
> But I assume this idle timer is for the backend suspend and didn't see any options for getting access to that idle timer or using that idle timer to suspend a FE Only machine at least from Settings in MythFrontend or mythtv-setup.

> [...]

HTH,
Helen

LOL, Thank you Helen! :)  That would be the obvious solution...  I've tried that, it seems my household either falls asleep while its playing a movie or they are to lazy to do that.  I guess I did ask for a poll of what everyone does...  My conclusions are still the same as the last commenter...  MythTV is backwards...  It has functions to sleep the backend but not the frontend, which is funny because writing code to set wakeup times to ensure it doesn't miss recordings is more difficult then just executing a command after being "Idle" for x number of minutes (while mythbackend process is not running on the current machine (FE Only)).

I guess I'll take another look at xscreensaver.  In Windows this is an option in the Operating System.  I guess the linux world never got away from the fact that linux was originally a Server Platform.  Everyone's effort to integrate it to a desktop environment and they forgot that one element.  However, MythFrontend could tailor it so that it doesn't happen during certain events (ie: background music).

-RayRay-