[mythtv-users] HDHR Orphaned Recording Tasks

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jan 9 11:41:19 UTC 2015

On 01/06/2015 03:36 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 7:13 PM, Ray Parrish wrote:
>> My HDHR Prime is sometimes used by a WMC PC, and when it is, the HDHR's
>> status page for the tuner in use lists that PC's IP under the field
>> "Resource Lock." Is there some extra flag which could be set when Myth
>> Backend opens a stream from the Prime to tell it to lock that tuner? I
>> wasn't sure if this was a feature which could be used generically across all
>> HDHR models.
> No such code exists (patches are likely welcome), but the
> real problem (and solution) is more complex, since MythTV
> (and I believe WMC) does not sufficient retry logic to
> pick and try another tuner *at* the time of the (failed)
> recording, and scheduling (to retry at some future point)
> becomes an interesting exercise (since will a tuner be
> available at some future time?).
>
> Bottom line, MythTV presume exclusive access to its tuners
> for its own use (which was a perfectly reasonably design point
> before tuners were network shareable).    The only recommended
> solution for MythTV (or, for that matter WMC) is to have enough
> tuners (and do not try to share them) to meet your peak
> concurrent recording needs.

Or at the very least be a good user and /tell/ MythTV that you're going
to use the tuner for some other program every time you do so instead of
just stealing it out from under MythTV.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/475239#475239 (where
the last sentence is finished at
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/475244#475244)

You'll still miss the recordings that need to be made on that tuner, but
this way MythTV will plan for it and keep you from getting failed
recordings.

Mike