[mythtv-users] Recent occasional tearing with GT 430 Advanced 2x?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 19:16:10 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 12:14 PM, Kevin Johnson <iitywygms at gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 1/8/2015 9:42 AM, Tom Dexter wrote:
>>>
>>> I've been using an nVidia GT 430 for 2-3 years now and have always
>>> used the VDPAU High Quality profile with no problem.  I record all
>>> U.S. OTA, so I need de-interlacing on everything except ABC and Fox.
>>>
>>> Starting less than a week ago I've been getting sporadic occasional
>>> tearing...mostly in the form of things such as that "jumping" effect
>>> during camera pans etc.  When it happens, manually switching the
>>> deinterlacer from Advanced 2x to Temporal 2x corrects it.
>>>

> My card stated doing this when the fan failed.
> Run nvidia-smi from command line an see what the temp is while it is
> glitching.

Thanks for the replies !

As for Jim's suggestion, opening it up and blowing the dust out of
video card heat sink as well as the computers CPU heat sink was the
first thing I tried.

I think you may be right as far as my GPU running hot.  I used the
nvidia-setting gui to monitor it while playing 1081i content (I can
get the temperature with nvidia-smi but not the fan speed percent??).
It seems as though the fan is in fact working, as it shows a % that is
in fact changing.

The temporary initially was about 70C and the fan speed was about
60-70%.  After some time however the fan speed slowly crept up to 100%
and at one point the temperature just hit 100C.  I'm almost sure it
never used to get that high, but possibly I never checked after
running it that long.

I'm not sure that that means though.  Is the fan possibly working but
not correctly?

Thanks.
Tom