[mythtv-users] Recent occasional tearing with GT 430 Advanced 2x?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 14:42:04 UTC 2015

I'm running mythtv-0.27.3 (patched for the schedules direct change)
under Gentoo on my x86 frontend.

I've been using an nVidia GT 430 for 2-3 years now and have always
used the VDPAU High Quality profile with no problem.  I record all
U.S. OTA, so I need de-interlacing on everything except ABC and Fox.

Starting less than a week ago I've been getting sporadic occasional
tearing...mostly in the form of things such as that "jumping" effect
during camera pans etc.  When it happens, manually switching the
deinterlacer from Advanced 2x to Temporal 2x corrects it.

This started with no recent updates etc, or any change that would
explain it.  The only change was an upgrade of the Mythbuntu theme,
which I knew wouldn't be related (though I tried another theme just to
make sure).  All other things around my fronend/backend seem to be
fine otherwise.  Last night I upgraded the nVidia driver from
343.22-r2 to 343.36 (the current stable driver) to see if it would
help, but it still happens occasionally.

I almost wondered if the broadcasters had possibly increased frame
rates or something, however I ran into this on a CBS 1080i recording
I've had for over six months.

Any clues as to what might cause that?  I'm almost wondering if the
nVidia card itself may be failing or something.

Thanks!
Tom