[mythtv-users] tv_grab_xxx with retry - additional testers wanted

Alistair Grant akgrant0710 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 09:58:58 UTC 2015

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I've modified XMLTV::Get_nice to
support optional retries.

Prior to enabling retries I had over half the mythfilldatabase updates
using tv_grab_huro (in the Czech Republic) failing completely, and the
remainder were incomplete due to what were considered non-fatal
failures (but it did mean that data for some channels was not
retrieved).

I believe that implementing retries is a much better solution than
running mythfilldatabase multiple times per day as a single run of
mythfilldatabase generates over 30 gets for a single day's data in my
case (free-to-air channels in Czech) vs a few additional gets from
retries.

It would be great if I could get some external validation that this
mod works by a few other people.

At the moment, only tv_grab_huro takes advantage of the retry
capability, but it should be a one line change to enable it for any
other grabber.

If you would like to take a look, the code is at:
https://github.com/akgrant43/XMLTV/tree/huro_retry on the huro_retry
branch.

If there is anyone who is facing similar failure issues, is using one
of the perl XMLTV grabbers (which are distributed with Mythbuntu) and
would like to see if this helps, please let me know.

I'll follow up on the XMLTV lists to try and get this merged in to the
official code later.

Thanks very much,
Alistair