[mythtv-users] Issues with my HDHomerun: Resource temporarily unavailable

Preston Crow pc-mythtv13 at crowcastle.net
Sun Jan 4 19:19:12 UTC 2015

On 01/04/15 13:59, Ian Evans wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 8:57 AM, Gary Buhrmaster
> <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com <mailto:gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 3:32 AM, Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com
>     <mailto:dheianevans at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     > The power LED is solid for hours at a time until a recording starts. So is
>     > it safe to assume that the increased load that occurs during a
>     recording
>     > causes something in the wall-wart to, say, overheat and cause
>     the HDHR's
>     > "reboot"?
>
>     The typical failure mode of these POS bricks is the cap
>     fails after a few years (heat related, usually), and you
>     get extremely high ripple voltages.

>     Personally I automatically replace all my provided POS
>     supplies with high quality switching supplies from OEMs
>     such as Delta within days of purchase just because I
>     like reliable power,

>     Note that I do not know what availablity you have, but
>     the D-Link JTA0302B reportedly works (based on
>     reports of others).
>
>     As I recall, these are the same supplies as used for
>     BeagleBone Blacks, so you might be able to find a
>     match based on that.
>

> Thanks Gary, and others, for descriptions of my power alternatives.
> I'll take a look. Silicondust also wrote back this morning saying a
> replacement would be $15 including shipping. Obviously if I can easily
> grab a non-POS alternative I'll do that instead.

The solution that occurs to me is to use an extra output of a PC power
supply if you have a server located in the same place.  I'm about to set
up a NAS4Free server with an overspeced gold power supply, and running
my other devices off of it makes a lot of sense to me.

Has anyone had any experience with wiring a HDPrime, switch, cable
modem, or anything like that off of a PC power supply?  A quick search
shows a lot of hits for converting a PC power supply to a bench power
supply, but nothing about using one to power both a regular computer and
external devices.