[mythtv-users] Tuners, conflicts and padding

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Fri Jan 2 14:31:01 UTC 2015

On Jan 2, 2015, at 5:49 AM, Paul Raison <paul at raison.org.uk> wrote:

> This is not how my setup works, I wish it was. In fact, I've missed the endings of several recordings over the Christmas period on back to back programmes where Mythtv has used the same tuner and cutover exactly on the scheduled time and completely ignoring the usual padding settings (extra recording time). Is there a setting somewhere to make Mythtv honour the extra time on back to back recordings? I have both multiple tuners and MultiRec setup, so lack of tuners is not a problem.

Check out the “Avoid back to back recordings” option I mentioned earlier in the thread. I have five tuners with two virtuals each and it’s extremely rare that soft padding gets chopped for any recording.

The other thing for making multirec work in this scenario is all your virtual tuners be considered sequentially. In other words, if physical tuner 1 has 4 virtuals they should be 1-4, physical tuner 2 has 5-8 etc. You could get gaps if you started with, say, 2 virtuals per physical and then bumped the virtual count higher - Myth will add new virtual tuners at the end of the list which doesn’t work as well for multirec. In mythtv-setup there’s an option to override the order of consideration from the order they were defined to anything you like which helps here.

- George