[mythtv-users] ECS LIVA as Backend / Frontend Combo: It Works!

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Jan 1 10:49:02 UTC 2015

On 01/01/15 04:07, Dave MythTV wrote:
> Hey everyone.
>
> There are several (three?) threads going now about using the ECS LIVA as a
> MythTV frontend...  but I'm going to take it a different direction.   :-)
> I'm here to say that the LIVA also works quite well as a *BACKEND*, and
> amazingly - as a backend / frontend combo as well !!
>

> I'm running Gentoo, so I've been tacking my findings on to SiliconFiend's
> ECS LIVA How-To thread on the Gentoo forums as I go along:
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7675300.html
>

> Short list of my system hardware configuration:
> ECS LIVA  (BAT-MINI v1.0)
> $109 model with 32GB eMMC / 2GB RAM   (NO reason to spend more on the 64GB
> models)
> 3x older USB ATSC digital tuners with multirec enabled
> 1.5 TB USB 3.0 2.5" portable (bus powered) hard drive
> USB MCE-style IR receiver
> USB RF wireless keyboard/trackpad combo
> WiFi on the LIVA (no hardwired ethernet)
> Audio via the analog output
> 1080P display connected via HDMI
> USB slim DVD drive

(snip)

That seems like a /lot/ of USB peripherals. I understood that box to only have
two USB ports. How are you connecting your bits? Is there any likely contention
on the USB bus?

Supplementary question: Is the eMMC card just used for booting, or is it used by
the OS with r/w access? How is that likely to affect the wear rates? As a
read-only boot partition I could understand, but r/w seems to be asking for trouble.

--

Mike Perkins