[mythtv-users] Live TV broken?

Chris Gentle gentlec at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 00:11:36 UTC 2015

Thanks to all who replied.  I think I've nailed it.  I have a switch
between my mythtv box and my HD Homerun that is negotiating a 100MB
connection instead of a gigabit connection.  That switch has the HDHR, 5
surveillance cams, an xbox and several other machines running through it.
Looks like I have a physical cable problem somewhere.  When I disconnect
everything except the HDHR, my recordings and LiveTV clear up because
there's not much network activity.

On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 3:50 PM, Jay Foster <jayf0ster at roadrunner.com>
wrote:

> On 12/31/2014 1:43 PM, E James wrote:
>
>> On 31/12/2014 02:20, Chris Gentle wrote:
>>
>>> Within the last couple of weeks, my Live TV has started breaking up and
>>> distorting really bad.  I'm not sure exactly when it started but it has
>>> become unwatchable.  I do over-the-air only and have really good signal
>>> strength (90+) coming into my HD Homerun.  I bypassed the HD Homerun and
>>> hooked a TV straight to the antenna to verify that the signal is good. No
>>> artifacts in the picture at all.  Also switched out the HD Homerun with a
>>> spare one but that didn't make any difference either.
>>> There have been no hardware changes in my myth system in months.
>>>
>>> I did a completely fresh installation of Mythbuntu 14.04.1 today just to
>>> see if that would make a difference but it did not.  The problem persists
>>> even after a reinstall.  I recorded a show, copied the recording to another
>>> machine and played back with mplayer.  The recording itself is bad.  The
>>> artifacts show up in the recorded file so I think I've narrowed the problem
>>> to the recording phase rather than playback.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure what to look at next.  Any suggestions?  Any new known
>>> problems with Live TV?
>>>
>>> Version Info:
>>>
>>> MythTV v0.27.4-27-g40506c3
>>> Mythbuntu 14.04.1
>>> nVidia GeForce 210
>>> nVidia driver 331.113-0ubuntu0.0.4
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Chris

>> I have a Shuttle DS47 running Lubuntu 13.10 and MythTV .27 combined
>> BE/FE. The monitor is an LG monitor / tv and MythTV uses 1 HDHomerun to
>> receive the 2 main Freeview multiplexes. I recently discovered that some of
>> the MythTV gui pages seem to generate interference which upsets reception
>> on the BBC multiplex for both the TV and the HDHomerun. More details if
>> requested. I am considering using a frontend on a different PC to eliminate
>> the problem but it seems to require more MySQL expertise than I currently
>> possess.
>>
>>  The OP subject says, "LIve TV" is broken.  Is it only live TV or are
> recordings breaking up too?  If both, then I would suspect the HDHR power
> supply.  I have had several go bad.  I could still ping the HDHR and
> sometimes tune channels, but it would drop out while recording.  One of the
> bad ones was so hot that it burned me when I unplugged it.  Lucky it didn't
> start a fire.

Chris