[mythtv-users] ECS LIVA Frontend

Michael Wisniewski mikewiz38 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 19:59:11 UTC 2015

> If you search liva+mythtv on google you will find some results that should
> address at least some of your questions. This is the one I'm most
> interested in http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2015-
> January/375223.html, though that deals with a FE/BE running, amazingly,
> on that hardware.

I did see some of those threads, but I'm a little concerned about some of
the questions that I asked.  I bought a raspberry pi to use with xbmc/kodi,
and before buying it, people said it worked.  Technically, yes, it does
work, but at a subpar experience.  Menus are slow, especially when
scrolling.  Decoding h.264 works, but try throwing something else at it
(like mpeg2 without the license), and it gets sluggish.
I also bought a firetv after the pi died for use with kodi.  Just like the
pi, it works, but there's some quirks with it.  For example, it doesn't
decode mpeg2 very well, the menus are quick, but my old lirc remote doesn't
work so I'm forced to use only a few buttons with the firetv remote.

I'm just trying to see what the consensus is on this box, now since a month
or two has passed.  It looks like it works, but there are some quirks with
it....which is kind of steering me away from it and finding something cheap
with vdpau support.

Mike