[mythtv-users] Projector and Frontend upgrade advice

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Thu Feb 26 19:29:38 UTC 2015

On 26/02/2015 17:41, Andre Newman wrote:
> On 26 Feb 2015, at 16:22, Damian <myth at surr.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Ok, I got bored over a cup of tea this afternoon and ended up playing with projector throw calculators (Beamers, not Beemers) ;-)
>>>
>>> The only budget DLP projectors that I know of and will meet your image size and throw distance constraints are the BenQ W1300 and the Optoma HD50 all the others give a much bigger picture for that throw. In fact both of these two can go even smaller than you need, I’m surprised.
>>>
>>> Andre
>> Thanks for this Andre!
> No worries.
>
>> I actually started a spreadsheet myself last night and went through all of the options that you had suggested. I had considered buying a screen to go in front of our odd shaped wall, but saw that the BenQ W1300 would actually fit. I didn't think that the Optoma HD50 would when I looked at the numbers, but I'm sure you've done it right and I made a mistake.
> Well don’t be too sure I was just mucking around in a tea break :-)
>
> I had a look again and this suggests the Hd50 is a possibility, 68.6” to 103.2” at 125” throw, enough latitude to get it right, not sure about offset as I don’t know your ceiling height, mounting arrangements etc.
>
> http://www.optoma.co.uk/distancecalculator/?model=HD50
:-) Yes, I think you're right.
>> Assuming that both of those projectors (or beamers) would work for me, is there much difference between them? The BenQ is more than £250 cheaper than the Optima on Amazon, so I'd need a really good reason to go for the more expensive option! :-)
> As I understand:
> BenQ W1300 has better colour accuracy straight off, supposedly a working de-interlacer (haven’t seen this in action) but is noisier and uses naff DLP link for 3D.
>
> DLP link gives poor black levels and some amount of (usually) red tint to blacks depending on the glasses, it flashes a big red frame to sync the glasses and a little of that lights the room up and squeaks past or around the glasses.
>
> Optoma HD50 has ok colour accuracy after calibration but not so good straight off, no good de-interlacer, a bit quieter and uses RF for the 3D glasses, or you can use DLP link if you really wanted.
>
> I very nearly bought the W1300 as it suited me well but the HD30 was quieter and had RF 3D glasses, The HD50 came along later and I believe is a slight image quality upgrade from the HD30 but I haven’t seen one. I didn’t find out about the colour accuracy until I got the HD30 and tried to calibrate, they all look over colourful in the demo room. All the recent Optomas seem to get blue slightly wrong.
>
> I think the W1300 will give better colour and the HD50 will give better 3D.
>
> How much 3D will you be watching?...
Thanks for that summery. I have no idea how much I'll use 3D, as I've
never had it! Probably not much though. It will just be an occasional
treat. Probably not worth the extra £250 price tag, especially as the
W1300's 3D will be the best 3D I've ever known :-)

I think I'll go with the W1300. Probably ordering it tonight. Thanks so
much for helping me make a decision so quickly Andre!

>> I like the fact that these projectors will fit in place, but can also do a larger image if I decide to get a screen down the line.
>>
>> I'm also thinking of leaving the frontend as it is for now. I'll plug the HD projector in and see how it handles things. If it struggles with HD content, then I can look into how much a suitable replacement is going to cost.
> Probably just a video card upgrade at worst.
Great.

Thanks again,
Damian