[mythtv-users] Projector and Frontend upgrade advice

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Thu Feb 26 15:22:41 UTC 2015

On 26/02/2015 14:07, Andre Newman wrote:

> Ok, I got bored over a cup of tea this afternoon and ended up playing with projector throw calculators (Beamers, not Beemers) ;-)
>
> The only budget DLP projectors that I know of and will meet your image size and throw distance constraints are the BenQ W1300 and the Optoma HD50 all the others give a much bigger picture for that throw. In fact both of these two can go even smaller than you need, I’m surprised.
>
> Andre
Thanks for this Andre!

I actually started a spreadsheet myself last night and went through all
of the options that you had suggested. I had considered buying a screen
to go in front of our odd shaped wall, but saw that the BenQ W1300 would
actually fit. I didn't think that the Optoma HD50 would when I looked at
the numbers, but I'm sure you've done it right and I made a mistake.

Assuming that both of those projectors (or beamers) would work for me,
is there much difference between them? The BenQ is more than £250
cheaper than the Optima on Amazon, so I'd need a really good reason to
go for the more expensive option! :-)

I like the fact that these projectors will fit in place, but can also do
a larger image if I decide to get a screen down the line.

I'm also thinking of leaving the frontend as it is for now. I'll plug
the HD projector in and see how it handles things. If it struggles with
HD content, then I can look into how much a suitable replacement is
going to cost.

Thanks again for this Andre!! You're a star.

Regards,
Damian