[mythtv-users] Live TV Jitter and CODEC Selection

jim jim_32766 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 26 02:05:27 UTC 2015

Playback of recorded media or streams is smooth. Sometimes live tv is
smooth and other times it has an irritating jitter. A little
investigation revealed that playback of recorded media always uses VAAPI
acceleration ( my system uses an Intel I3 4330 ) and live tv appears to
sometimes use ffmpeg instead of VAAPI. The live tv is smooth with VAAPI
and has jitter with ffmpeg. I've checked my setup and VAAPI is the only
codec selected in Setup->Video->Playback in the Current Video Playback
Profile. I added a VAAPI High Quality choice and made VAAPI the only
codec option.

Does anyone know why ffmpeg is sometimes used for live tv and, more
importantly, how to make VAAPI be the only codec used for live tv?

Thanks,

Jim