[mythtv-users] UPS with mythbuntu

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Feb 24 21:56:28 UTC 2015

Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:

>> You aren't the first to find this - though normally if the lights go out, you aren't too worried about printing.

> That wasn't the point - when you initially plug everything in and switch on the power, the UPS complains - and doesn't stop. The printer just takes too heavy a startup load. The same would happen after an outage.

I didn't miss the point - you aren't the first to find this, and I doubt you'll be the last. Same problem starting up motorised equipment (such as large saws and stuff) from generators - unless the generator is "somewhat oversized" for the nominal load, the startup inrush kills the genny output. I've run a laser from a UPS - but it was a 1500VA UPS (that I borrowed from work, don't worry, it was spare !) and I was working in a caravan off a 3kVA genny (doing results for a motorsport event).

Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:

> If power is off, your recording probably already is messed up. No
> signal any longer= ;(

That depends.
If you don't have an amplifier on the aerial feed then it'll be alright, or if you do have an amplifier and it's powered from the UPS. Unless it's a widespread outage that's taken the transmitter down as well - but in my case, the transmitter is 40 miles away (more like 80 by road !) and if we have an outage that widespread then losing a recording is the least of my worries as it means a big chunk of the national grid has gone down.

If it's a cable feed (or similar) with decoder etc, then same things applies - if you power your kit off the UPS it will still work if the supplier's end is still running.