[mythtv-users] Gentoo mythbackend setup and logging

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 08:33:44 UTC 2015

Hoi Karl,

Sunday, February 22, 2015, 6:40:18 AM, you wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 2:57 PM, david brooke <david2012brooke at gmail.com>
> wrote:

>>> I would check the /etc/mysql/my.cnf file and see if it has a line
>>> like this:
>>>
>>>     !includedir /etc/mysql/conf.d
>>>
>>> probably at the end of the file. If so, then make any changes to
>>> the configuration in a file under conf.d. Call the file there
>>> anything you like but it must end in .cnf. As an example:
>>>
>>>     [mysqld]
>>>     bind-address=::
>>>     max_connections = 100
>>>
>>> In the *buntu world, the package maintainer may change the my.cnf
>>> file and even though users are given a prompt, sometimes it's
>>> missed/ignored and local changes vanish. Maybe not true for Gentoo.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bill

>> I have made the adjustments suggested by others.
>>

>> 1. Install the MythTV
>>
>> # emerge -av mythtv
>>
>> 2. Enable and start MySQL
>>
>> # rc-update add mysql default && rc-service mysql start
>>
>> 3. You'll also need to check that the "networking" feature of MySQL is
>> turned on. Check that /etc/mysql/my.cnf does not contain skip-networking.
>> If it does, either remove that line or comment it out. Also verify that
>> bind-address is set to your IP address instead of 127.0.0.1. Alternatively
>> /etc/conf.d/mysql can be used to address skip-networking and bind-address.
>> Set MY_ARGS="--bind-address=masterbackendipaddress" and skip-networking
>> default is off. If you change either of these items, restart MySQL.
>>
>> 4. Setup mysql and add a password:
>>
>> # mysql_secure_installation
>>
>> 5. Create the database structure: (See example using root as user and 1234
>> as password)
>>
>> # mysql -u root -p1234 /usr/share/mythtv/database/mc.sql
>>
>> 6. Update your database (Optional with new install): (See example using
>> root as user and 1234 as password)
>>
>> # mysql_upgrade -u root -p1234
>>
>> 7. Add time zone tables: (See example using root as user and 1234 as
>> password)
>>
>> $ mysql_tzinfo_to_sql /usr/share/zoneinfo | mysql -u root -p1234 mysql
>>
>> 8. Allow remote frontends access: (See example using mythtv as user,
>> mythtv as password and root as user, 1234 as password)
>>
>> # mysql -u root -p1234
>> MariaDB [(none)]> GRANT ALL ON mythconverg.* TO 'mythtv'@'192.168.97.%'
>> IDENTIFIED BY 'mythtv';
>> ***Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)***output only!
>> MariaDB [(none)]> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
>> ***Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)***output only!
>> MariaDB [(none)]> exit
>> ***Bye***output only!
>>
>> 9. Enable mythbackend
>>
>> # rc-update add mythbackend default
>>
>> 10. Setup mythbackend
>>
>> $ mythtv-setup
>>
>> 11. Setup logging for mythfrontend and mythbackend.
>>
>> Edit /etc/conf.d/mythfrontend
>> Replace
>> #MYTHFRONTEND_OPTS="--syslog local7"
> [...]

a few remarks:
mariadb versus mysql. I don't know which is preferred, but the
dependency will go with whichever already is installed and if neither
is installed will install mysql. After emerging mysql you should
emerge the install for mysql. It will help you set it up properly. It
will be mentioned in the after emerge message. It still will then only
be setup for localhost only.
You can without problem edit anything in /etc. Any change will be noted
on an upgrade and new files wil be placed in a copy you have to merge
in manually with dispatch-conf or etc-update

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop