[mythtv-users] cannot restore database

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Feb 22 00:51:43 UTC 2015

On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 23:28:22 +0000, you wrote:

>There was a power cut at home while I was at work. I came back, restarted
>the myth box and the frontend showed a white screen. Attempting to restart
>frontend and/or backend didn't work. Neither did rebooting the machine
>again. So I decided to restore the latest backup (I have a daily backup
>from a cron job.) However, when I run the restore command, it gets stuck at
>"dropping database", which shouldn't be the most time-consuming action.

One other thing - did you run fsck on all your drives after the power
cut?  I always run fsck on all drives at any time they did not get
shut down safely.  Usually the automatic process of running the
journals that happens on mount is sufficient to maintain the integrity
of the filesystems, but it is not foolproof, and I prefer to do full
fsck to make completely sure.  In Ubuntu, the way to do full checks of
all drives easily is to reboot into recovery mode (from the grub
menu), then select the fsck option from the menu that appears when it
has started up.