[mythtv-users] cannot restore database

UB40D ub40dd at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 21 23:58:56 UTC 2015

Thanks Bill, you nailed it!

On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 5:18 PM, Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 02/21/2015 10:53 AM, UB40D wrote:
>
>> I hate when they give you a relative path in the error message. Where the
>> hell is that ./mythconverg/ it can't rmdir? Is it that it can't rmdir
>> because it doesn't have permission to it, or because it's not there? If
>> the
>> latter, what's the bit of database that still exists when the script fails
>> to create the database?
>>
>> find / -name mythconverg -print
>>
>> gives nothing (other than the usual annoying bunch of "permission denied"
>> on /proc etc)
>>

> Because the directory is owned and only read/write by user mysql. If you
> do a: sudo before the find, you'll see it.

Got it.
And it was in the same place as yours:

> Or, the following will tell
> you where it is:
>
>     $ cd /etc/mysql;grep datadir my.cnf conf.d/*
>
>       my.cnf:datadir = /var/lib/mysql

So I went there and checked it out. Did the directory
/var/lib/mysql/mythconverg exist? Yes. Why could the script not rmdir it?
It contained one file, program.MYI.broken.2014-11-04, which was a relic of
another much worse disaster when one of the hard drives died and I had been
trying to rescue one of the files that had read errors.
So now I deleted that file manually, then re-run the mythconverg_restore
script and this time it could drop the database without problems and
proceed to successful completion.

And it worked! I rebooted and I got the frontend back, and in the media
library all the movies were there.

Thank you and everyone else in this thread!