[mythtv-users] NTSC, ATSC, QAM & device clarifications

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Sat Feb 21 22:18:34 UTC 2015

On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 3:25 PM, James Miller <gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org> wrote:
> Thanks for the clarification, Eric. That's what I suspected--namely, that
> without a cable-company-supplied/registered device (with accompanying rental
> cost), there will be no viewing/recording of content. So the "analog hole,"
> which could otherwise work for me since I am not fixated on HD, could only
> be taken advantage of by renting TWC (in my case) equipment.

You would need to talk to TWC.  In some cases a DTA is available
without a monthly charge.  (At least, not beyond the basic service
package.)  These are very simple devices that only do SD channels.
Some of the models have RF only output int the channel 2-4 range, like
an old VCR, but you could use them with your 250.

Eric