[mythtv-users] cannot restore database

UB40D ub40dd at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 21 15:31:59 UTC 2015

> # mysql -umythtv -p mythconverg -e "DROP DATABASE IF EXISTS mythconverg;"

This command freezes forever without producing output. This is at least
consistent with this command...

mythconverg_restore.pl --drop_database --create_database --verbose
--filename  mythconverg-1317-20150220033002.sql.gz

...also freezing after saying...

Preparing initial database.
Dropping database.

Even just connecting to the database manually never gives me a prompt:

mysql --user=mythtv --password=XXXXX mythconverg

...just outputs the following and locks up until I control-C:

I got suspicious. I did

 sudo service mysql restart

and, after that, this command gave me a prompt:

mysql --user=mythtv --password=XXXXX mythconverg

Then I tried running the original restore command:

mythconverg_restore.pl --drop_database --create_database --verbose
--filename  mythconverg-1317-20150220033002.sql.gz

Again it froze at "dropping database".

I did control-C and tried your

mysql -umythtv -p mythconverg -e "DROP DATABASE IF EXISTS mythconverg;"

and that also froze without output. What's stopping me from dropping the
database? Maybe some higher-level mysql housekeeping table (e.g. one that
says what databases are available) is also corrupted and needs repair
before I can drop the mythconverg database?

I confirm that mysql is running and that I can get in, with the same userid
and password, and get a prompt.

What now?