[mythtv-users] Adding Videos to 'Watch Recordings'

Andy mizeraka at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 21 14:23:52 UTC 2015

Hi,

So I was running out of space on my mythtv HDD.  I backed up some TV shows I had recorded.  Now I have upgraded my system and would like them to be back in 'Watch Recordings'.  I have edited the MySQL mythconverg database to add a couple of them, but they don't seem to be working correctly.  For example, I can't get -mythcommflag to work appropriately, and I can't get mythtv to pull any metadata.

I have considered adding them to 'Watch Videos' (and I know that this is the only "official" way to add videos to mythtv), however I have them preserved in .mpg format and they are in the weird format that mythtv uses (i.e. 1527_20141219073000.mpg), so I can't tell what they are... of course -mythlink doesn't work because that only pulls the information from the MySQL database, and I would have to reinsert all of the old videos back, which is a pain to do and doesn't seem to work properly.  And even if I use mythlink, it doesn't seem like my system is skipping commercials when I watch a linked file out of 'Watch Videos'.

So my questions are:
1. Can I use/modify the mythlink script to get human readable file names for videos not in the MySQL mythconverg database?
2. Can I use mythcommflag on any video I want, or will it only work on recorded videos or videos in the MySQL mythconverg database?
3. Will flagged commercials be skipped when watching videos under 'Watch Videos' or only under 'Watch Recordings'?
4. Will flagged commercials be skipped when watching files created from the mythlink script under 'Watch Videos'?
5. Is there any easy way to insert a file into the MySQL database (I've been using Webmin to edit the database)?

Just so you know my system information is:
BE only on ubuntu-server 14.04 with mythtv 0.27
3 FEs on mythbuntu 14.04 with mythtv 0.27
1 FE on ubuntu-desktop 14.04 with mythtv 0.27

Thanks for any guidance,
Andy M.