[mythtv-users] NTSC, ATSC, QAM & device clarifications

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Fri Feb 20 21:39:21 UTC 2015

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 4:27 PM, James Miller <gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org> wrote:
> In looking at upgrading this system, my hope is to find some device that
> will handle both the current NTSC-over-cable stuff I currently record, as
> well as the current and upcoming digital stuff--which, as I understand it
> will be QAM.

I'd bet that the digital stuff is already there.  The way these
transitions usually work is that they add digital, wait a few years,
then turn off analog.  If they're turning off analog in 2016, the
digital is probably there now, so you can jump to all digital today
and not need to worry about analog.

There are some hybrid devices that do both analog and digital, but I'd
advise you not to even think about them.  Just go all digital.

Since this is Time-Warner, you should first verify that it's clear QAM
and not encrypted QAM.  TW is one of the most MythTV hostile providers
out there.  They don't like to make things easy.

Eric