[mythtv-users] recommendations?: energy efficient FE/BE system

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 20:26:48 UTC 2015

Hoi Dave,

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 11:35 AM, James Miller <gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org>
> wrote:

>> Hello all. Since I have a tax refund coming soon and my Myth box
>> (combination FE/BE, currently running Mythbuntu 12.04) is getting a bit
>> long in the tooth, I'm seriously considering an upgrade. I'd like to ask
>> here for recommendations for a replacement system, whether that be in the
>> form of a pre-built box, or individual hardware components. I live in the
>> US, btw, and do have experience putting together computers from parts. I do
>> plan on installing the OS myself--likely a newer version of Mythbuntu.
>>
>> The main needs I will have are for a DVI video output (I use for display
>> an older 39 inch monitor that does 720p and has only DVI port), capacity
>> for at least 2 hard drives--preferably internal, and low power consumption.
>> I'm kind of indifferent to HD TV, so high-end display capabilities are a
>> low priority for me. As far as capture devices go, I'm leaning toward an
>> HDHomerun of one or another stripe. I currently have 3 inputs: one for OTA
>> and two devoted to cable. I'd like to keep that arrangement. I should be
>> able to budget around 500 for this upgrade and I already have a new 1TB
>> SATA drive to incorporate. I also plan to keep this as a combination FE/BE
>> box.
>>
>> I've done a little preliminary research and found, for example, this
>> pre-built box: http://www.logicsupply.com/computers/hardware-line/
>> commercial/mc600b-10/. Anyone have any opinions on that low-power unit as
>> a Myth FE/BE box?
>>
>> I realize I could economize by buying parts separately and putting them
>> together myself and am prepared to do that. The problem is that I don't
>> have much experience with or knowledge about energy-efficient components
>> and will need to start more or less from scratch in determining what
>> energy-efficient components will go together and will be compatible with
>> Myth. So if anyone has recommendations for components, or can point me to
>> some site(s) where such can be identified and/or bought, I would be happy
>> to know about them.
>>
>> In any case, recommendations and advice on these subjects will be much
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks
>> James
>>

> One thing I would suggest is don't be afraid to build something radically
> different from what you have now.   :-)

> Hardware-accelerated media capabilities have evolved substantially in the
> past few years.  Running a DVR for HD content no longer needs a "hot" PC...
> we're talking System-on-Chip designs - phone and tablet chipsets - that can
> do the task easily without breaking a sweat.  Your next MythTV machine
> doesn't have to be *anything* like your old one.

> For example, I've been very happy with my HD FE/BE combo running on an ECS
> Liva.  It's about the size of a large bar of soap, and everything is built
> [...]

He's right I would either go traditional with everything in the
casing, with sufficient possibilities to expand/upgrade or a small
powerful 'gadget' with the rest external through network/usb.
That said, you'll need sufficient usb3 and preferable wired network.
Viewing a recording will fill up wireless bandwidth and you will
very possible encounter pausing.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven