[mythtv-users] recommendations?: energy efficient FE/BE system

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Feb 18 21:57:26 UTC 2015

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 2:43 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 5:35 PM, James Miller <gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org> wrote:
>> I realize I could economize by buying parts separately and putting them
>> together myself and am prepared to do that.
>
> While this (saving money) may still be possible, it is no
> longer assured because of OEM quantity discounts,
> retail loss-leaders, discontinued stock pricing, etc.  If
> (for example) you tried to individually source the exact
> same parts as a typical Dell computer it could very
> well cost you more than ordering direct.

You can still save money doing it yourself in the long run.  If a part
fails or you want to upgrade a component, it's usually easier to
fix/upgrade this yourself if you have a generic white box pc put
together from parts.  Big manufactures like Dell sometimes have parts
which are custom to the units they sell and not as easily
interchangeable with standard parts.  Getting replacement parts from
Dell can be quite costly and time consuming.

Eric