[mythtv-users] anyone h.264 transcoding? want to share your magic?

Peter Bennett (cats22) cats22 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 16 19:27:22 UTC 2015

On 02/16/2015 01:03 PM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> Strange. My .mkv files (transcoded with handbrake-cli) don't seem to
> have a duration as reported by mediainfo '--Inform=Video;%Duration%'. b.

mediainfo never fails me. Here is an example I just ran:

mediainfo '--Inform=Video;%Duration%' 150208\ S01E01\ Uno.mkv
4512946

Unfortunately if you put in a wrong file name or name of an invalid
file, mediainfo just outputs nothing, without reporting an error. I
suggest double check you are passing in the correct file name.

I have a regular job that runs against recordings, transcodes with
handbrakeCLI and updates the mythtv database with the names of the mkv
files. I run mythcommflag and correct the duration as I mentioned, after
that they all play perfectly from Recordings in the front end. Almost
all recordings I watch have been transcoded. I have very few issues,
only minor things like the jump-forward and jump-back are sometimes off
a little. I did have the issue you describe before I added the sql to
update the duration.

I don't know why mythcommflag puts in a wrong duration. I suspect it is
not correctly examining the mkv file for duration.

If you cannot get mediainfo to work, I suggest try delete from
recordedmarkup where chanid = '$chanid' and starttime = '$starttime' and
type = '33' and mark = '0'; I think if it does not find a duration there
it may find the correct duration from the file.

Peter