[mythtv-users] Parental Controls -- Time of Viewing

George Galt george.galt at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 18:07:35 UTC 2015

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 10:42 AM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 10:40:49PM +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 3:46 PM, George Galt <george.galt at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > > All:
> > >
> > > I've searched the wiki and the archives, but I can't seem to find how
> > > accomplish my goal.  My goal is to prohibit viewing of recorded
> programs and
> > > videos during certain hours.  My problem is my son is waking up early
> (about
> > > 4:00 a.m.) and has discovered he can watch MythTV.
> >

> > Your house, your rules, but I will offer that attempting to use
> > technical controls to try to enforce behavior is the wrong way
> > to do it.  Eventually (maybe not even eventually) individuals (or
> > their friends, or their friends friends) learn the ways to bypass
> > the technical controls, and think of themselves as special.
> > If one's goal is to encourage learning, problem solving, and
> > hacking, then adding in technical controls (increasing in
> > difficulty over time) might be a good plan.  But if the goal
> > is to actually change the actions, I would suggest that
> > defining the desired and expected behavior, defining the
> > consequences of not following that behavior, and then
> > follow-through is a better training and learning approach.
>
>     Yes, what he said. I wanted to say the same thing but he said
> it much better than I would have. Set boundaries. Define consequences.
> Follow through.
>
>     I've done this with my MythTV system and my wee one.
>
> [deletia]
>
>     Something else to consider is the possibility of auditing. This
> relates to my own personal feature changes. If you track what is being
> watched then you can do some nice things with "per directory" bookmarks.
>
>     The data to support that also can allow you to know what was watched
> at what time and on what frontend. It can be a nice bit of personal
> spyware.

All:

Thanks for the suggestions!  To add more detail, this is a combined
parent/kid frontend.  Killing it would probably work, but seems inelegant.
Hiding the remote also works -- though I tend to be forgetful -- and since
this is a short term issue, it may be the best and easiest course.  For
those wondering about my parenting skills, I'd admit that they are probably
below average!  My son is 9 and has recently been getting up very early.
I'd like to encourage him to go back to bed rather than toddling downstairs
to watch TV.  We've explained to him that the reason he has been cranky in
the afternoons is that he isn't getting enough sleep, but his ability to
understand "waking up @ 4:00 am to watch TV == cranky afternoon" goes
beyond his abilities to understand temporal connections.

My hope is that one or two nights of failing to be able to watch TV would
convince him to roll over and go back to sleep, so hidden remote is it!

George