[mythtv-users] PCIe analog capture card recommendations

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 19:35:19 UTC 2015

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 7:00 PM, Karl Newman <siliconfiend at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It appears that one of the tuners/encoders of my (9 year old!) PVR-500 has
> given up the ghost (recordings are all 0 byte). I could replace it with an
> eBay version, but given that those are going to be a similar vintage

PVR-xxx's did not age gracefully.  They tend to die with age and
faster inside hot(er) cases.  I never did the RCA, but presumed one
or more components exceeded their design limits (and given that
it is usually the caps that change over time with heat, I presumed
them).  Yes, eBay versions, even if working, would be expected to
die RSN.

> .... I noticed the HVR-2250 was listed on the Wiki,

Be careful with the HVR-2250 (and HVR-1250).  There is no current
driver support in Linux for the latest revisions of the board (and Hauppauge
and vendors are shipping the new gen in HVR-2250 packaging).  There
was a post over on linux-media that suggested a driver might be submitted
to linuxtv RSN, but I have not seen any commits (I believe the vb2 work
has caused a bunch of churn in the code bases and everyone is holding
back to avoid confusing the blame list).

> Ideally it
> will support tuning RF NTSC that my DTA box is putting out

Which MSO are we talking about?  For some reason I had this
thought that you were in a Comcast franchise, which means an
OCUR device is a better way forward.