[mythtv-users] asus memo pad 7

Daniel Frey dmfrey at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 16:36:17 UTC 2015

On Tue Feb 10 2015 at 11:26:33 AM Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 3:43 PM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca>
> wrote:
> > So is HLS transcoding a requirement now?  What if I am in the same
> > network as the MythTV BE (or have enough upstream bandwidth on my
> > Internet connection) and have enough bandwidth to stream the native
> > MPEG2 stream?
>
> In my experience, there are few devices (manufacturers)
> that have chosen to license and enable hardware MPEG2
> decoding.  While the latest and greatest devices might
> have the CPU power to (mostly) decode MPEG2 in software,
> anything other than SD is usually unwatchable.  As H.264
> decoding is universally enabled in hardware (although older
> devices may be limited to specific profiles), a stream in
> that format is the only one that is likely to be acceptable
> to most, regardless of the transport (HLS, or DASH, or
> something else).  If you have a device that has licensed
> and enable the MPEG2 decoder in hardware (or have
> the latest snapdragon 810 chip), count yourself among
> the very special few.
>
> How one gets to H.264, of course, is different than the
> transport.  Some transcode early and often, and some
> MSOs are moving to H.264 content (Comcast is in
> trials, and once the more important issues are resolved,
> I can envision them rolling it out in 12-18 months),
> although the US FCC ATSC requirements insure
> MPEG2 is going to be around for quite some time.
>
> It should be noted that while enabling it and using it
> is still just a thought, the last few gen Intel CPUs
> can do real-time transcoding of a stream in their VPU.
> nVidia (nvenc) and AMD (vec) have equivalents.  Yes,
> some may need to actually upgrade either their system
> to get reasonable results.  Such things happen.

Hika,
Mythtv Android Frontend has been sunsetted at this point.  No further work
will take place on that codebase.

The new Mythtv Player has a much smaller focus than attempting to be a full
fledged Mythtv Frontend.

Here is a short list of the goals for the project:
* Recording Playback with no dependencies on external players
* Video Playback with no dependencies on external players
* Chromecast Support
* Leanback interface for Android TV
* HLS Live Streams can be initiated in the app or through mythweb and
playable in the app.

We are focusing just on playback of Recordings and Videos at this time for
both Android Phones/Tablets and Android TV.  We will then be adding
chromecast support.

What device were you testing on when it crashed?  If you like, start an
Issue over in the github repository:
https://github.com/MythTV-Clients/MythtvPlayerForAndroid/issues

Bill,
Maybe we should setup a wiki entry out there for anyone wanting to setup
Android Studio so that they can run it right from source and capture and
LogCat exception stacktraces for us to diagnose.

I can also look at integrating Crashlytics into the app so that we can let
the app itself just report the exceptions so that we can review/triage at a
later time.

https://try.crashlytics.com/

I use it on another app and works pretty well at reporting stacktraces when
the app crashes.

Dan